You want inspiration? John Sitomer delivers in spades! As he puts it, “I spent one third of my life battling cancer. I’m thrilled it was me!” Today on THE MENTORS RADIO, Host Tom Loarie talks with John Sitomer, a fitness entrepreneur, a dad, and the founder of South Florida’s Council of Dads.
For John, battling cancer has made him a better person and led him to discover his calling in life, namely, to mentor boys and girls who need a positive parental influence. You see, during John’s second bout with cancer, he didn’t know if he was going to make it or not. A friend gave him a book that ultimately changed his life, but he couldn’t even open the book or turn a page until about 10 months after he received it! As you listen to the show, you’ll hear the whole story and it’s a WOW! that’ll certainly spark ideas and inspiration for YOU, wherever you are, in whatever business you’re in, in whatever situation you face.
John talks about “brotherhood” vs. “friendship,” about “Pay it Forward” vs. being a victim, and about the blessings of seeing inner-city kids being transformed into confident, positive, givers. He talks about the men who told told him they’d been waiting a lifetime for something like this (South Florida’s Council of Dads) where they can give! And… John talks about having NO fear!
The book John received, by the way, is The Council of Dads, written by another dad, Bruce Feiler, who had faced a similar situation as he also had battled cancer. You can find it listed in our Show Notes below.
- BIO: See two news articles on John Sitomer below.
- BOOK that changed his life:
- The Council of Dads: A Story of Friendship & Learning How to Live, by Bruce Feiler
- South Florida’s Council of Dads:
- Local ‘Council of Dads’ Takes a Unique Look at Community Service and Charitable Giving Dedicated Dads — Feature story in the Wellington Insider magazine
- John Sitomer and The Council of Dads—AW Spotlight